Monday, July 2, 2012

Doctors Appointment

We're still trying to decide what hospital to choose for welcoming Abby.  We're leaning towards St Pete's, and we'll be meeting with some of the staff on Thursday to help make the decision.  I'm hoping I walk away from that meeting with a peace of mind to help make the decision.

Today we met with Dr. McMahon and discussed a bit of our birth plan.  She helped to clarify some of our thoughts and to reassure the decisions we've made.  It's so nice that she is super supportive of us making this decision.

We also talked a bit more about Abby's heart.  I think there may be an additional problem with her heart, or maybe it's just a symptom of her AV canal defect.  Anyway, we learned that she will hopefully be born looking like a typical newborn.  But it might not take very long for her color to change.  She will start to loose her rosy complexion as her O2 levels drop.  I'm thankful for the warning.  I figured that would happen as she was closer to leaving us, but now I'm prepared that it may happen sooner.  I was definitely not prepared for that.  Even though we will most likely have her on oxygen, she will still always remain deficient.

Eventually, if this is the cause of her death, she will slowly become hypoxic (decreased oxygen level).  It should be a peaceful process of her essentially going to sleep.  That's not to say that there aren't unknown variables that could cause her death.  But I find peace and hope in this being the process of her leaving us.

No comments:

Post a Comment