Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Quilt of Love

This project has been so wonderful.  I can't believe how many people took the time to send Abigail a piece of love.  Each moment that I worked on putting it together I was able to think of the person who sent the fabric I was working on.  That's a lot of wonderful time spent while I ironed, then cut, then sewed, then ironed, then sewed, then ironed, then cut some more... repeat process.  ;)

My favorite moments were receiving the fabric.  It felt a bit like Christmas with the excitement of checking the mailbox and the anticipation of seeing what choice someone had made.  The moment was made even more special when we received a note with a reason for the fabric choice, or kind words for Abby.  I want to share those thoughts and some pictures, even though I'll be keeping the cards I want to have everything saved here as well.

I'll spare everyone (mostly myself as I look back at this in the future) the pain of the "during" pictures that Trever took.  You don't want to see the trashy version of me as I stay in PJ's all day working on a project.  I promise it doesn't sound nearly as bad as it actually is, much less as it looks in photos.  My brother got a glimpse a few days ago... he didn't even hide his horror or his laughter.  Love him for that, honestly, I do.

The "almost finished" quilt:

A close up of some of the pieces with the names embroidered:

*** When we dropped the quilt off with the person who will be quilting it, she had already seen a picture of it on Facebook.  She must know someone who contributed... but we couldn't make the connection.  Hopefully by the time we get it back she will know who it was.


Notes from friends: (There were others, but these are the ones that were brief, or focused on Abby.  We loved hearing why a fabric was chosen!)

"Even the number of stars in the sky could never outdo the amount of love that my heart holds for you" - Unknown.  From Jen Houk, with star fabric.

"while we try to teach our children all about LIFE, our children teach us what life is all about"
Little Abby is already teaching us what life and love are all about.  Jaci Schiffern (a woman who has taught me so much about love for family and a beautiful marriage).

Much love and so much more.  you are truly inspiring. Thank you for teaching me a better meaning to life. Love you and your beautiful family. Abby girl is so blessed.  Melissa Haberman

"The mind determines what is possible.  The heart surpasses it." Pilar Coolinta
Abigail - Can't wait for your arrival! The quilt will be beautiful, just like you! Ali Schiffern and Matt

"If I could I'd find a fairy Godmother with a magical wand and combat boots so that she could grant your wishes and kick the crap outta anything that tried to get in the way of your happiness"
To Abigirl - you are being welcomed into a wonderful and special family.  If your time is short, know that it was and is impactful for many.  We give these pieces of fabric to your quilt to bring love and warmth.  For all the stories your mom and dad will read "once upon a time", and for all the personalities you will share "diva to princess" - The Mairs

"Legends say that hummingbirds float free of time, carrying our hopes for love, joy and celebration.  Like a hummingbird, we aspire to hover and savor each moment as it passes, ebrace all that life has to offer and to celebrate the joy of everyday.  The hummingbird's delicate grace reminds us that life is rich, beauty is everywhere, every personal connection has meaning and that laughter is life's sweetest creation." - Unknown
From Heather Kapust

"In truth I agonized about my fabric selection for you.  I actually bought 3, unable to decide - want it to be perfect.  The piece I settled on seems like a timeless pattern.  Much like I know your AbbyGirl will always be."  Jennifer Schreck

Baby Abby - We love you so much, even though we haven't met you.  You have touched our hearts in ways you cannot imagine.  You are loved!  Meghan (McDonald) Lewis

Emily and I just picked out an adorable pink "golden books" fabric from the online store.(Jack approved too)
Jenny Champoux

Hi Petey,
I have sent some fabric your way  with carnations on it " to symbolize my love, pure and deep" ;-).
I love you so much and I can't wait to see Abby.
Hugs, Jen Reiss



I sorted through many fabric designs and shades of pink to get the right thing.  To me, this design/color says passion, determination, boldness, and joy.  The things that you are, and that Abby represents.
Much love ;)
-brenda



So butterflies... "Butterfly Power" is based on the idea of subtle influence and suggests that when a butterfly flaps it's wings in S. America, there is a tornado in Texas. I've always been drawn to this idea and the perspective that something so small can create such significant impact. There are two reasons I think of butterflies when I think of Abigail. One, she has had such an influence on so many people and so many lives all before she weighs even 3 lbs! Like the little butterfly who flapped it's wings, the impact of her existence has made ripples within your family and in the lives of numerous others in BIG ways. 

The second reason I think of butterflies and subtle influence is the reason Abigail has Edwards Syndrome in the first place. One chromosomal difference in her system led to the T18, which led to the many things that have happened during the last 12 weeks and your life, along with your family and all the people who love you being forever changed.

Lastly, I like butterflies because they are something we are blessed to see as we go about our days. My hope would be that when you see a butterfly, whether Abigail is here with us or otherwise, you'll be reminded of what a blessing she is and how she gifted you with a new perspective and had such significant subtle influence. 

I hope all that made sense and you, like me, will see the relevance of butterflies. :)

Love,
Stacy



No comments:

Post a Comment