Friday, March 30, 2012

March 30th, 2012

A response (to a message I sent) from a dear friend:

Abigail has already enriched my life in ways many of my childhood friends never have. I am more aware of death and what it means to me. I am more committed to candor. I am learning to be a better friend. I am a more prepared potential mother.  I am better. She has brought groups of people together. She has stimulated conversations between families and lovers. She has inspired strength, sadness, joy and many other emotions we may never know. And she hasn't even set foot on this planet. Abigail Adams eat your heart out. 

This is just my long winded way of saying I have yet again been reminded that I believe the greatest growth often comes from absence.  And although I regret the pain you feel and it doesn't seem fair for a life to end so early, I am thankful for you, your family, and Abigail. And the gift you are giving to us all. and for reminding us that life does not have to be long to be full and complete. Completion is not about time, but impact. Imagine what Abigail'simpact will be. (AME)

 I love a friend who can share with honesty, with candor, with insight.  

Right now I am also especially fond of any friend who communicates with me.  When it comes down to it, it really doesn't take much.  But it's somewhat shocking how few people know how to give even a little.  

Maybe it's as another friend wrote:
On a personal note, I am learning from this experience daily.  I am really good at supporting friends in need when there are acts to perform. But I don't feel as confident in knowing what to say.  Somedays the words flow, but other days I'm at a loss for words.  Seeing emails like this from you showing that just 6 little words 'how can I pray for you' make such an impact shows me that I don't always need paragraphs of support - sometimes the fewer words the better!  (BS)

 It's true, sometimes it's the little things that count the most.  I'm definitely guilty of looking for "just the right thing" to do, to give, to say... and ending up doing nothing.  I hope that won't be me in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment